[SMC Magazine ‘নোঙর’] SMC – Road Map
a. Build a strong bondage, promote cordial relations among all the Professional Mariners who are presently working and residing in Singapore with family.
b. To share & exchange professional knowledge & ideas and promote professional interests through networking and a high level of ethical practices.
c. To promote social interaction and welfare of its members & their families.
d. To work with any other organization, having similar interest for marine community with out conflicting with other groups.
In order to achieve these objects, the Committee may add among their activities:
a. Organize family get-together, functions, picnic, games, sports, voluntary social works, etc. to create awareness among all the members to realize the benefits of the social harmony and healthy lifestyle.
b. Family supporting services to encourage all our family members to create bondage & healthy atmosphere among all the families.
c. To help & assist needy Mariners & Bangladeshi family on humanitarian grounds.
Posting information & message via email/website:
All SMC members are expected some sort of self censorship mechanism for sensitive issues which may disturb community and social harmony or can undermine our professional dignity and merchant navy traditions.
Members will avoid local and overseas political topics if can not keep himself impartial.
Members will avoid controversial religious topics considering that we have members of different religion groups.
Members can post any invitation like Family get-together, Eid, Pooja, Christmas, Greetings and any other useful invitation which might interest other SMC members.
Members will refrain from any such posting which may disturb personally or collectively any other member from same community or other community, or which may act as a direct or potential risk to divide the bondage of the mariners’ community or any other community.
SMC Members and Community are not to be held responsible for any unethical posting by any individual member which may threat or cause damage to social, economical, professional, political & religious harmony.
SMC Member & Committee:
1. The membership is open to all Bangladeshi origin marine professionals (irrespective of their academic back ground, race, religion, sex and creed). Any Mariners (Batch & Contemporary) upon settling in Singapore with family (shore jobs or sailing) will be automatically SMC member. All members will be treated & accommodated equally, no discrimination between academy & non-academy members.
2. All the SMC members are grouped as under, Groups may be re-arranged as & when required by the Committee.
a) Group A – Senior most batch to 14th batch & contemporary,
b) Group B – 15th batch to 20th batch & contemporary,
c) Group C – 21st batch to 24th batch & contemporary,
d) Group D – 25th batch & contemporary,
e) Group E – 26th batch & contemporary,
f) Group F – 27th batch & contemporary,
g) Group G – 28th batch & contemporary,
h) Group H – 29th batch to Junior most batch & contemporary.
3. Each Group will select one Group Leader (G.L.) to represent their Group. If the Group members can not find from the same Group, they may select from other Group.
4. There will be no hard & fast rule for selecting G.L. Once selected, at any point of the term, if any limitation arises, G.L. can replace himself with another selected G.L.
5. After selection of the G.L. they will form the SMC Committee & they will mutually nominate one as their Team Leader. Team Leader may not necessarily be the academic senior batch & contemporary. Committee will manage the SMC. Committee will always encourage cyber meeting instead of physically presence meeting unless situation arises.
6. For any decision, all G.L. will have equal voting rights with equal voting power & weight. Committee will try their best to take any decision with 100% approval among all the G.L.
7. SMC Committee shall be “two years” term and will be renewed on 01st July of every two years. For the next two years term, new G.L. will be selected & also to nominate their new Team Leader.
1. One single bank account will be maintained in any commercial bank in Singapore. All funds will be collected only into this SMC designated account.
2. There shall be no entrance fee & no subscription to become member of SMC. Fund will be collected when Committee initiate any activity like Family get-together or any such other events.
3. One G.L. will be responsible for the accounts and will withdraw money as required by the Committee for the purpose of social get-together or welfare expenses or any other situation deemed necessary.
4. Once SMC Committee renewed, accounts will be hand over & transferred to the new team.
General guidelines for financial help:
a) Fund for Singapore Mariners’ Family:
SMC will maintain certain minimum fund for any emergency use for SMC members.
Committee, at any time, may impose any fixed benevolent fee to all the members at it’s own discretion to generate the SMC fund.
Almighty forbids, in the event of any SMC member’s loss of life, SMC will assist at it’s best to support the family including the cost of funeral & sending body to Bangladesh (if family decide). Committee may appeal all the members to contribute with a minimum fixed amount from each SMC member which will be decided by the Committee. Contributor’s name will not be disclosed.
b) Fund for Overseas Mariner’s including when they are visiting Singapore:
If any financial appeal received from our Overseas Mariner brother, including when visiting Singapore for medical treatment, SMC will assist at it’s best to support. Committee will assess & decide case by case basis. One G.L will be assigned to find out the details, case merit & actual needs. If found appropriate, Committee may post the original appeal content with account number provided. Any member wish to contribute to that appealed account, may do so with out any obligation.
SMC Committee may not collect any fund from any SMC member but Committee may decide to contribute “Token of Love” from SMC Fund.
c) Non-Mariner’s Family:
If any financial appeal received from any Non-Mariner Bangladeshi family, including when visiting Singapore for medical treatment, SMC will assist at it’s best to support. Committee will assess & decide case by case basis. If found appropriate, Committee may post the original appeal content with account number provided. Any member wish to contribute to that appealed account, may do so with out any obligation.
All Members will refrain from committing any financial help to anyone on behalf of others or SMC. All members & their family are encouraged to provide with the mental support in any form, like phone call, visiting them, providing shelter, arranging memorial services, etc.